It's Monday and I'm ill. I have a terrible sinus infection and this means I'm moving really slow, if at all. My head is banging, my body aches a bit, my face is throbbing, and to make it even better, I have a fever. Yay me!
Anyway, Mr. wants for us to eat healthier and had asked me to redo our food budget to accommodate this change. I said, "Sure! Why not?" So, I've done just that and will document our collective journey here. Complete with photos of our meals and visual family reactions. I anticipate this to be a great journey with plenty of hilarity ensuing along the way.
Mr. has been wanting for us to become mostly vegetarian while I'm not totally averse to the whole idea of veganism but hey, one step at a time. He said more vegetables and fruits, less meats and processed foods. I replied, "Plant-based?" He said, "Exactly."
Score!
So, we began tonight. Of all nights. I'm sick but we need to begin this today. I'm a team player!
Tonight's menu consists of sauteéd baby portabello mushrooms with elephant garlic and scapes, sauteed and steamed collared and mustard greens, and couscous.
The whole meal was prepared and finished within 30 minutes. Couscous is easier to cook than you think. And our family loves garlic! I regularly use many members of the onion family to include: chives, onions, garlic, elephant garlic, scapes, green onions, Shallots, and leeks. I mean, they are good and good for you, plus the flavors are phenomenal.
Tomorrow, they've asked for tacos. Hmm... I think we'll try a different take on them. So, the shells will be lettuce leaves and the taco meat will be chile-spiced grilled tofu. We'll still have all the fixings to go along, including the rice and black beans. I'm making the beans in the morning via slow cooker before I leave for work.
This may not be too much for us after all. The kids will truly be OK. It's Mr. I'm worried about! 😉
With Love,
Cocoa Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment